Thursday, February 14, 2013

In the Spirit of Valentine's Day

Yes, Valentine's Day is stupid/commercial/overhyped/created by Hallmark, etc. You already heard all of that and then some from your single friends on Facebook today. And you've also heard on facebook today that Valentine's Day, of course, isn't just about romantic love. That's true too. I spent most of the day today with my two little nephews, who will always be my Valentines, no matter what (fully grown) men enter and leave my life in the years to come. I won't ever love any man like I love those two little guys. It's also about the love of friends, and family, and friends who feel like family, and your family who are also your friends (hi sissy!).
But as long as we're on the subject of different kinds of love, I think I'd like to take a minute to love myself today. No, I don't have a boyfriend, nothing even close to it. No one bought me roses or chocolates today. But you can take all your roses and chocolates and throw them down a hole, because I wouldn't take all the chocolates in the world in exchange for the life I've built- for myself- since I've been single. Yes, I get lonely sometimes, but every day I like my own company more and more. Learning to love myself is the most valuable gift.



No comments:

Post a Comment