Friday, February 22, 2013

I really like everyone

I've had a bit of a rocky time adjusting to my new job. I started working at this hospital about 4 months ago, and I don't work on a specific unit, but I float to lots of different units. I hated it at first, then felt neutral about it, and now enjoy it most days. I think one of the reasons I hated it was that every moment of every day I'm way out of my comfort zone. I don't know my coworkers, I don't even know what unit I'll be on until I was in the elevator pressing the button for whatever floor I was assigned to. In the beginning, it was hard. I struggled. I had a bad attitude. Other nurses crossed me and I held grudges. I was anxious and bitter. I wanted to quit. One day, I made an error that someone else caught, and I spent alot of time beating myself up for it. I was miserable. 

A few weeks ago, I started thinking alot about my disappointment with the job and what I could do to fix it. I decided to work on unfailing positivism-  in other words, just shut the F up with my complaining. There were two items that were in my action plan.

In the mornings, I practice positivity by looking around at all of my coworkers, smiling as genuine a smile as I can muster, and saying (to myself): "I really like everyone I'm working with today!" No it's not always true- in fact, most of the time, I've never even met them before. But it sets the tone for a good day and helps me, if nothing else, to avoid taking out my frustration on my coworkers. 

I also ask myself regularly, "Do I make myself a blessing to everyone I meet?" This is a line from a Brandi Carlisle song that is about (for me anyway) making amends for how your past mistakes have affected the ones you love. I listen to it alot, especially on the way to work, because that song understands me right now. That line is at the end of the song, and it tends to stay with me throughout the day because it sticks in my head. It's become sort of a mantra. 

It sounds cheesy, I know- affirmations and mantras. But let me tell you what it's done. In the past couple of weeks, charge nurses and coworkers have told me I've done a good job more frequently than ever before. People engage with me, patients express disappointment when my shift ends. People seem to like me more. And then I feel good. And then I do good. It's working, is what I'm saying. I'm going to keep doing it. 

Here's the song, it will help your heart if you let it.



And now for the topic of weight loss! I was working last Saturday so I didn't officially weigh in (I really only like the Saturday Weight Watchers meeting.) I'm expecting good news! I had a great on-track week.
This weekend, I'm planning to go to yoga tomorrow and maybe do a little cardio too. Sunday is long run day- omg5miles. I'm also hoping to hit 5pm yoga on Sunday to kick off my workweek. That means that I really have to reign in it tomorrow evening because I'm planning on dinner and drinks with a couple of girlfriends. The trick is going to be keeping the drinking to a minimum so I'm not too tired or too hungover for big workout fun on Sunday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment